Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Potter's Mark

 potter's mark
Extracted from the website: http://www.figurines-sculpture.com
In response to a person who had located some of Iron Mountain stoneware in a storage unit and was seeking information to identify the potter, Peter (the admin) from Figurines-Sculpture.com suggested the IMS mark as being "a contemporary with Van Briggle" due to a similarity in pottery marks. Later, Nancy Patterson Lamb responded with the following:

"I designed the mark with no knowledge or homage to former potters. The IMS (Iron Mountain Stoneware) mark meaning is this: the square represents the four elements a potter needs: earth, air, fire, and water. The inside triangle on a vertical post represents a potter's tool. And the post with the two "branches" represents "man" or the potter."

The NP with the flame symbol over the top signify that the FIRE and Nancy Patterson created the piece. 


7 comments:

  1. Yay! I finally found out what the mark is! I have just been given a set of the Blue Ridge stoneware (black/navy blue-dipped?) Love your information and history - thanks! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks for putting this on. I have just received a whole set of Iron Mt. Blue Ridge stoneware and am excited to learn about it. I have some printed material that I could scan and send you - let me know if you're interested. Thanks, Karen - karenfulks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - am so glad I found this. Just received a set of Blue Ridge dishes and am trying to find out more information. I also have some paper info - if you'd like it, let me know - karenfulks@gmail.com - Thanks, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an extensive set of Roan pattern of Iron Mountain Pottery. My husband is from Bristol, TN and we lived in Knoxville, TN in the late 1960's. When we would go to Bristol for a visit in the fall we would go to Laurel Bloomary to the pottery and purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would anybody know why you might only see the top two marks, and not the NP Flame? I see it mostly done on teapots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not remember omitting the NP mark, but in checking my teapots, they, too, have no NP mark. The reason has to be that I felt that the teapot design was the work of my friend, Kyllikki Salmenhaara, who was visiting from Finland in 1967. Kyllikki created many hand-thrown teapots at the time, and this design was derived from one of those.

      Delete
    2. I have seen it with and without, mostly without, I was thinking one might have been produced earlier than the other. Still on my search for just the right one. I recently picked up an Appalachian trail mug with '81 and HT on the bottom, any ideas on that mark? Thanks Nancy for the info.

      Delete