Saturday, February 16, 2013

Solids--Basic? or Bammm!

Basic Black 20 piece service for 4
There were five solid colors mentioned in the July 1988 price list for Iron Mountain's factory seconds store in Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee. (see the Solids page) Among those five was one called Basic Black. Other solid colors were possibly Freedom Blue (appears to be a bright blue solid, but I've seen only one coffee cup in this color so far), Ice (close to what I would describe as an extremely light celadon green), Evergreen (which was featured in a post on Feb. 13 and represents it's name well) and Peach Bloom (though at this point, I've not officially seen this color).  Recently while searching on the Internet, I discovered a vintage and antique web site called One Kings Lane which had a service of Basic Black for sale last August.  The sale was no longer available, but the image was--so I have brought it here for display information.  All of the stoneware shapes remain the same as we've come to expect from the remaining pieces of stoneware and all these Basic Black were truly a rich black, glossy glaze both inside and out.

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog! I am so happy to find information on this Basic Black pattern. I have about 80 pieces of this pattern and have not been able to find info on it. I was beginning to think I was the only person who had this pattern. I can never find any of these pieces for sale on ebay or Etsy either.

    I grew up near Taylor's Valley and chose this pattern as my wedding pattern. I received almost all of the pieces as wedding gifts in 1986. It was such a good choice. It has never appeared "dated". I can mix it with newer pottery pieces and with different colors to give it new looks.

    My pieces still have that shiny glossy sheen to them after 27 years. I attribute that to not putting it in the dishwasher. It always gets hand washed and treated with the respect it deserves:-)

    If you have any additional information on this pattern, I would love it if you would share it with me. I will visit the blog for updates periodically, but you can contact me at the email address below if you have anything you would like to share about the pottery.

    Delta Lewis Thompson
    delta105@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so late to this party, but somehow I managed to never stumble upon this blog until today when I came looking for information on Peach Bloom. Today I grabbed a whole bunch never used which still bear the original store tag including the pattern. If someone still maintains this site I would be happy to send photos. While I am not new to Iron Mountain, I did not have so much wonderful information before! And never knew Nancy was from Wi (so am I)

    ReplyDelete