Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sally's Gift

Sally Patterson was the sister of Nancy Patterson Lamb and one of the three artists who worked in residence at Iron Mountain Stoneware while it was in existence and producing many pieces of stoneware for the kitchens and cooks of America.  Sally created many one-of-a-kind pieces which were beautiful and in the case of one which recently sold on Ebay, told a sometimes personal story about her life or that of her family.  This 14 inch platter was highly decorated and in the private collection of Nancy--so beautiful! According to Nancy's description, the platter illustrated "our family having a picnic in the back yard on a warm summer day." Note that in 1983 when the piece was created, it had a $400.00 price tag still adhered to the backside.

Scene from a family picnic
Signature, date and price
close up of the artist's detail

6 comments:

  1. Hello Michelle, I should have left a comment before now as I have explored your blog before, enjoying learning more about Iron Mountain Pottery. My husband and I and our two sons traveled there about 1985 and purchased 6 of the large Evergreen soup bowls. It was a splurge for us then but how I wish we had bought more. We always intended to return but never made it. I have lovingly cared for these beautiful bowls all this time, never putting them in the dishwasher even though we used them regularly.

    I just did a post on my blog called Across the Way about the bowls and provided a link to your blog in case anyone wanted to learn more about the pottery. I know I have learned just from reading your blog several times before this. Just wish we had more in our small collection. By the way, when we bought these, my sister in Orlando told me that they sold the Iron Mountain Pottery in the furniture store she worked at, a high-end Scandinavian furniture store.

    I'm so glad you're keeping the history of Iron Mountain Pottery alive on your blog.
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dewena--I've been adding to the blog information when time permtted by talking with the original artist who started Iron Mountain Stoneware--Nancy Patterson Lamb. She is a dear, sweet person and has been working on a book about the pottery. I can't wait until she gets it published.

      Delete
  2. I have a platter marked sally I was wondering weather it meant it was a one of a kink item

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than likely it is one-of-a-kind. I have not seen her signature on any of the pattern pieces made by IMS.

      Delete
  3. You can email me the image if you are still interested. I will have to post it for you.

    ReplyDelete